Cheesy corn bagels
- 450 ml warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tsp S&P even rise dried yeast
- 180 g S&P rustic corn bread creation
- 550 g strong white bread flour
- 1 tbsp S&P dough creamer
- 1 tbsp S&P flour booster
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp coarse sea salt flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp S&P cheese & Herb flavouring
- 200 g grated tasty cheese
- melted butter
- In a bowl of thermomix or Kenwood mixer combine the warm water, oil, yeast and honey. Let sit for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add rustic corn bread creation, the bread flour, dough creamer, flour booster and salt and using dough hook or dough setting on thermomix, mix for 3-5 minutes or until dough comes together and forms a smooth dough, adding more flour as required. Knead until the dough becomes elastic then place in a lightly greased bowl to rise until doubled in size, about one hour.
- After it has risen, punch down the dough and divide into 16 or 20 or 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece in a ball, poke a hole through the middle to form a bagel shape and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover loosely with a tea towel.
- Preheat oven to 190°C and grease 2-3 large baking trays with butter. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the brown sugar. Add the bagels 2 at a time. Cook for two minutes then flip over and cook an additional minute.
- Remove from the water and place on a cooling rack for a few minutes while adding the next bagels to the water.
- Mix together the sea salt and bread flavouring and sprinkle over the wet bagels with the grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is golden brown. Brush with melted butter if desired. Serve immediately or freeze for another day.
- Delicious served for breakfast filled with the classic BLT or your favourite toppings.
Makes 16 large or 20 medium or 24 small bagels Suitable to freeze for up to 2 months Defrost 3-4 hours
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!