Easy cheesy pretzel bites
- 375 ml warm water
- 3 tsp S&P Dried yeast
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 600 g Strong white bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp S&P Cheese & Herb flavouring
- 3 litres water for boiling the puffs
- 1/2 cup bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg whisked with a drop of cold water
- Coarse sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of Kenwood or thermomix whisk together the warm water, yeast and sugar. Set aside for 3-5 minutes or until frothy.
- Add the flour, salt and bread flavouring and knead for 3-5 minutes until soft and elastic, but not sticky.
- Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut into 6 pieces. Roll each portion into an inch thick rope and then using scissors snip into 1 inch pieces or your desired size.
- While preparing the pretzels, bring the water to boil in a large saucepan. Add the baking soda. Once water is boiling carefully drop 8 pieces of dough into the water for about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place pretzel bites onto baking sheet. When all pretzels have been boiled, brush dough lightly with the egg wash and sprinkle salt on top.
- Bake for 5 minutes in preheated oven. Shake the pan and then switch the oven to fan grill 200°C and cook for a further 5 minutes or until golden. Remove pretzel bites to a cooling rack. Enjoy immediately with our Warm cheesy dip from Recipe leaflet # 19 or our Smoked ham & cheese log from Recipe leaflet #14 or our Sundried tomato cheese ball from Recipe Leaflet #10.
- These are a super easy starter that take less than 60 minutes from start to finish. They keep for up to 5 days in a sealed bag or container. Simply refresh for 5 minutes in a 180°C oven before serving.
Suitable to freeze for up to 1 month Defrost 1 hour
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!