Hot cross scrolls
For the dough:
- 1 tsp egg whisked with ½ tbsp water
- 250 g dried fruit mix
- 120 ml apple juice
- 2 tbsp speculaas spice
- 110 g caster sugar
- 125 g butter melted & cooled
- 150 g icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 g butter melted in ¼ cup boiling water
- Place the fruit in a small bowl with the apple juice, cover with cling film and microwave on medium power for 2 minutes. Stir and leave to absorb all the juice
- For the dough, combine yeast, first measure of sugar and warm water in a small bowl. Cover and stand for 5 minutes or until frothy. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, milk, eggs, butter and oil. Sift flour into a large bowl with the currant bread powder and flour improver, then add 110g caster sugar and stir to combine. Make a well in the flour, then add yeast and egg mixtures, stirring to combine. Knead a few times until mixture comes together, then transfer dough to a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel and stand in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size. Knock the dough back and turn out onto a clean, lightly floured workbench, then knead for 10 minutes until you have a smooth dough. (Alternatively, place in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and knead for 6-8 minutes until smooth and elastic.)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease and line the base and sides of 2 x 24cm springform cake tins with baking paper.
- Combine sugar and speculaas spice in a bowl and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces and roll each piece into a 40cm x 20cm rectangle. Brush each piece with some melted butter, sprinkle with spiced sugar and scatter over the soaked fruit. Roll up each tightly from the long end to form a log. Cut each log into 10 slices or as many as you wish. Arrange in prepared cake tins, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 20 minutes.
- Brush the tops with the egg glaze, then bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Cool slightly in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl, then stir in vanilla extract and as much of the melted butter in water as required to form a smooth & shiny icing, runny enough to drizzle across scrolls. Drizzle icing over scrolls when they have cooled to just warm and serve.
Makes 20 scrolls, approx Suitable to freeze for 1 month
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!