Sticky speculaas buns
- 60 g unsalted butter very soft
- 2 tsp S&P Sweet 'n' Spice
- 50 g soft brown sugar
- 100 g pecan nuts or walnut pieces optional
- 90 g soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Put lukewarm milk in bread machine pan. Add fresh yeast, egg and sugar. Sprinkle flour over the liquid, add salt, butter and flour improver. When the cycle has finished, remove the dough from the machine. Place on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle about 40 x 25cm.
- Make filling by beating the butter until creamy, then beat in the speculaas spice and sugar. Spread the mixture over the dough leaving a 5mm border around the edges. Scatter the nuts over (optional) then roll into a 40cm long roll. Cut into 12 equal pieces and space slightly apart in a well greased 22 x 28 x 4cm baking or roasting tin. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (approx 30 minutes) – OR chill overnight. Preheat the oven to 180-200°C.
- Make topping by putting all the ingredients into a small saucepan, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute. Pour the hot mixture over the buns. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out carefully – the caramel will be hot. Leave to cool on a wire rack, serve warm or at room temperature.
Suitable to freeze Defrost overnight
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!