Zeeuwse bolussen (Dutch sticky cinnamon buns)
- Put the flour into a large mixing bowl of electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and add the yeast, flour improver and salt. Mix together to combine.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and 50g of the butter gently until butter is melted and mixture is lukewarm.
- Add the milk mix and egg to the dry ingredients and using mixer, knead for 5 minutes until dough is soft and elastic. Cover with cling-film or a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- While dough is rising make filling. Soften remaining butter and mix with sugar, syrup and speculaas spice. Grease and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Flour a clean dry bench and roll out the dough into a rectangle about 5mm thick and 25cm wide. Cut into 8 strips and spread over half of the spice mixture. Roll the strips into a spiral and place on the prepared tray. Spread over the remaining spice mixture. Leave to rise for 15minutes while preheating oven to 225°C.
- Bake the bolussen in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely or serve immediately.
Suitable to freeze for up to 3 months Defrost 4-5 hours
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!