Flat rolls - filled with meat
Lovely flat rolls perfect for filling with your favourite meats or savouries.
- To make dough in the bread machine: Remove the pan from the bread machine .Pour in the water. Sprinkle on the flour making sure that it covers the water. Add the salt, sugar, butter, flour improver and milk powder in separate corners of the bread pan. Make a small indent in the centre of the flour, but not down as far as the liquid, and add the yeast.
- Place the pan back in the bread machine and set to the dough setting and press start. When the machine cycle has finished, remove the dough from the machine. Place on a lightly floured surface, knock back gently.
- Divide dough into 18 portions, of about 70g each. Knead each piece into a roll, flatten with the palm of your hand then roll slightly with a rolling pin. Place rolls onto a flat baking sheet on baking paper/liner about 7cm apart. Cover with cling film and leave to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Beat the egg with the milk until combined and brush this onto the top of each roll. Put the rolls into a cold oven, switch the oven on to 160°C and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and put onto cooling rack to cool. Once cooled, either freeze for later use, or fill immediately.
- To fill and serve: If rolls have been frozen, defrost and warm through for 5 minutes in a hot oven. Cut rolls in half, fill with sliced barbequed meat such as gammon along with mustard sauce. Or barbequed pork or chicken with a some sage and onion stuffing. Put a cocktail stick through the filled roll. Serve with chips and salad.
- Ideas for fillings:
- Roast pork, sliced thinly. Put stuffing into roll first, then pork then top with a spoonful of apple sauce (used on this photo)
- Roast gammon - spread mustard sauce onto the base of the roll then top with the sliced gammon.
- Roast chicken - slice thinly. Put sage and onion stuffing onto base of the roll, top with the chicken.
- Roast beef - slice thinly. Spread horseradish sauce onto the base of the roll. top with the beef.
Suitable to freeze Defrost 2 hours
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!